Payment of Citations and Appeal Process
Payment of Citations
(including parking tickets and SIU traffic citations issued on parking tickets)
Parking citation/ticket payments should be paid within 5 business days by mail using the self-addressed, stamped citation envelope you received, or in person at Parking Division, 701 South Washington Street, Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Checks should be made payable to SIU. Payment using the mail envelope can be dropped in any mailbox. Payment made in person at Parking Division may be made with cash, check or credit card.
SIU Carbondale is not responsible for cash sent through the mail.
How to Appeal a Citation:
All appeals must be completed within five (5) business days
of receiving the citation.
If you believe you have received a citation in error, you may choose to file an appeal. There are three (3) options available to file an appeal:
Click here for the on-line appeal form.
The on-line appeal form is the preferred method of appealing a citation. It is quicker, easier, and can be done from the comfort of your residence or from any computer with internet access. After submitting your appeal on-line, you can check the status of your appeal at anytime by logging into your Appeal Status page
You may request an appeal form via fax Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. from Parking Division at (618) 453-7456. Please include your fax number so that the form can be faxed back to you.
You may obtain an appeal form from the lobby of the SIUC Department of Public Safety's Police Department located in Washington Square A. The Police Department lobby is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The appeals forms are located inside the lobby.
- Complete the form with as much information as possible.
- Place the form along with the citation (yellow copy) in the black collection box which is also located in the lobby for your convenience.
Your Appeal Form and citation will be forwarded to the Appeals Board for review. The Appeals Board consists of a representative from the Undergraduate Student Government Organization, Graduate and Professional Student Council, Faculty Senate, Administrative and Professional Staff Council, and the Civil Service Council. After completing the review, the Appeals Board will render a decision. The Appeals Board may:
- Affirm the monetary use charge or any sanction imposed under the regulations.
- Determine no monetary use charge was incurred or no other sanction required under the regulations.
If the charge or sanction is affirmed, and you do not pursue the appeal further, then you should pay any monetary charge. See 'Payment of Citations' at the top of this page.
You may appeal the Appeals Board decision within 14 days as provided in Section 7-104 of the Traffic & Parking Rules & Regulations.
If the Traffic and Parking Appeals Board affirms the charge, see 'Payment of Citations' at the top of this page; or you may request a review to the Chancellor’s designee within 14 days of being notified of the outcome of your Higher Appeal. Call 618-453-5369, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to request the review. If you have appealed using the on-line form, you should log in to your Appeal Status page before calling. Once logged in, you can provide additional comments regarding your appeal and then click "Request Appeal to Higher Authority" at the bottom of the page. You will be notified by mail of the date/time of your review.
- Call 618-453-5369 and ask to be placed on the Higher Appeals roster. If you have appealed using the on-line form, you should log in to your Appeal Status page before calling. Once logged in, you can provide additional comments regarding your appeal and then click "Request Appeal to Higher Authority" at the bottom of the page. Once the Traffic & Parking Appeals Board determines a hearing date, you will be notified by mail at the address appearing on your Appeal Form of the date/time of your hearing.
- Failure to appear at your scheduled hearing will result in your Higher Appeal being denied and the monetary use charge being affirmed. See 'Payment of Citations' at the top of this page.
Cash - Check - Mastercard - VISA - American Express - Discover